Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club Charleston, WV
2021 Scholarship Program
PO Box 322, Dunbar, WV 25064
The Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club, was formed in July, 2013. We are dedicated to serving our community by providing scholarships, identifying and meeting community needs and educating and mentoring. We support our veterans, local charitable organizations, uphold the traditions and standards of the National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Club, promote motorcycle safety and the rich history of the African American 9th and 10th Calvary, Buffalo Soldiers.
The Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club, Charleston, WV scholarship is a one-time award in the amount up to one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) to use toward college, university or trade school costs and expenses. The Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club, Charleston, WV is a chapter of the National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Club, which is comprised of five regional areas called Frontiers (Northeast, Southeast, Great Lakes, Central and Western), each representing different sections of the United States.
Each scholarship will be paid by BSMCCWV and / or NABSTMC to the student, and mailed to their school of choice, upon verification that he or she has been accepted and enrolled in an institution of higher learning. Graduating high school seniors with a GPA of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or better, who have applied or been accepted to a college/university will be eligible to apply. The scholarship will be awarded based on financial need, proposed use, and overall qualifications, with emphasis on the quality of the final essay.
The philosophy of the National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Club, Inc., are:
- To promote the history of African American veterans
- To be a positive role model for youth in our community
- To support our veterans by visiting local veterans, their families, and supporting our fallen heroes
- To support Charitable Organizations in our community
- To uphold the traditions and standards of the National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Club (NABSTMC)
- To promote Motorcycle Safety in our community
The National Association of Buffalo Soldiers and Troopers Motorcycle Club is comprised of five regional areas called Frontiers (Northeast, Southeast, Great Lakes, Central and Western), each comprised of different states within the United States with one common goal. There will be 60 recipients across the 5 frontiers for a total of $50,000.00; and a single National Scholarship of $5000 will be awarded to one recipient, for a grand total of $55,000.00 to college-bound graduating high school seniors in 2021.
NABSTMC will mail funds, on behalf of the student, to the college/university he/she will be attending; upon verification of enrollment. The scholarship will be awarded based on completed application packet, which includes, financial need, qualifications, essay, and supporting documentation.
Instructions for candidates:
The following are required to complete your application:
· Official High School Transcript (or equivalent, if home schooled)
· A 500-word essay on the topics described below in Essay Topics
· Letter of recommendation on official letter head from a teacher/guidance counselor/school administrator
· Letter of recommendation on letterhead from a community service organization
· A letter of acceptance to an institution of higher learning
· Signed Release Form (enclosed)
· Parent’s signature if student is under 18 years of age
· Prepare a letter of introduction, who you are, your accomplishments, to include honors and awards to date, family background, and the degree to which you are seeking, and financial need. Provide a brief summary on how you plan to use the scholarship, if selected.
· Recent professional headshot photo (in good taste)
· Provide Student’s name, the complete name and address of the school and/or financial aid office where the student will be attending school and student ID number. Checks will be mailed by the National Treasurer to the school via the student’s account
· Complete all forms in its entirety. Attach additional pages, if required.
· Incomplete packages will automatically be eliminated.
Write a 500-word essay (typewritten) on one of the following topics:
**Do not write about the Buffalo Soldiers or Troopers Motorcycle Club**
A. What impact did the Buffalo Soldiers make in war and/or peacetime? Why is it necessary to pass this legacy on to future generations?
B. Provide specific examples of how the Buffalo Soldiers facilitated the development of roadways, national parks, and mail service.
C. The Congressional Medal of Honor is presented to the recipient by the President of the United States in the name of Congress. Please provide a brief narrative regarding a Buffalo Soldier that received this honor and what can be learned from his life, efforts, and commitment to duty.
Applications may be downloaded from http://bsmccharlestonwv.com or www.nabstmc.com, and under the tab scholarship application.
Submit your completed application and essay by the April 15, 2021 deadline.
Incomplete packets will automatically be eliminated.
All completed applications and required documents must be scanned and emailed to email@example.com by 11:59 PM, Eastern Standard Time, April 15, 2021.
All sealed transcripts must be sent to Buffalo Soldiers MC Charleston WV, PO Box 322, Dunbar, WV 25064 by 11:59 PM, EST April 15, 2021.
Incomplete packets will be eliminated.
Click on the button below to download the scholarship application.
Anaka Whiteside was our 2020 BSMC Charleston, WV Scholarship Award Recipient!
Anaka Whiteside, is a 2020 honor graduate of Woodrow Wilson High School in Beckley, WV. She is an active participant in community activities and services. Anaka, plans to pursue her political science degree this fall at West Virginia University, with the goal of helping to fix our justice system by becoming a Criminal Justice lawyer. Please help us celebrate our $1,000 Buffalo Soldiers MC Charleston 2020 Scholarship winner and $750 Great Lakes Frontier Buffalo Soldiers MC second-place winner. Congratulations and best wishes!